Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Tao of 'Self' Study - My first attempt.

I grew up hearing and believing that Learning is a means to an end. Life has been as kind to me as to kick my backside every time and finally making me accept and admit that Learning is an end in itself. Paradoxically enough, Learning has no End. I heard that the best place to start with, is one's own self. So I started studying myself.

When I embarked on this mission of self- study, I realized that what I had presumed to be a cup of tea is actually an ocean of brine in itself. My heart sank at the prospect of never being able to complete.  But then wise people say that we have come into the world bare and alone and will return to the elements in the same way. Nothing is for the ‘taking’ or ‘keeping’. So I convinced myself that whatever I manage to achieve will only give me joy, and no one’s going to judge me for what level I achieve or fail to achieve. These are paths not frequented by many. There aren't many hares to taunt this tortoise.

I was at the CCSHAU (University, where I was doing my Masters studies) shopping center when such noble thoughts were seeding in my head. Not a person to procrastinate in such innovative and capital investment free ventures, I resolved to start immediately. At that funny moment in my life I was taking puffs of happiness out of a Gold Flake cigarette. Yes, that’s the brand I vouched loyalty to, all my smoking days. Thus I undertook my first ‘study of myself’- How many puffs are required at my usual pace to suck up the cigarette, till the embers reached the logo at the bottom, a couple of millimeters above the filter (The portion that dedicated smokers of my acquaintance called the Golden kiss; but I always maintained unequivocal hatred for that revolting and distasteful last puff).

Having thus made an outline of the study to be conducted and of the inventory requirements, I returned to my room in Ajanta Hostel (163, or 165?). I had all that was required to carry out the study; one and a half pack of cigarettes and a match box. I intended to put myself through a set schedule of smoking a cigarette every waking hour and take down the number of puffs. This was to account for any variations due to vagaries in my mood over the period of the day. Well okay, that needs some explanation.

Those were very troubled times for me (or so I perceived). At one end, I was only physically present in Haryana, my mind was really somewhere else (that’s a different story all together). At the other end my Masters guide was not making things any easier for me. Now that I think back, the main problem was that I had gone to Haryana with the sole academic objective of completing my masters and returning in two years. It never occurred to me that I would be spending a couple of years of my academic life in CCSHAU, why not enjoy it and make the most of it. On top of that, having a circle of Bengali seniors and batch mates didn't really help. Other than the occasional (although the occasions were not scarce) get together to drink and make merry and share general contempt for the ‘pig-headed’, drunk ,brawling and whoring  ‘local’ hostelers  nothing substantial was achieved in these communions. Well that’s beside the point. On the whole, I was not at peace with myself and would be in different states of mood depending on the plane on which my mind was dwelling.

So the next day, I executed the study as planned and at the end of it (at about four o clock, the following morning), I came to results that were quite amazing. Barring the cigarette that I had smoked during the game of cricket on the field, in all the other 12 instances, I had finished the cigarette in 13 puffs. The outlier result on the field was 17 puffs, attributable to heightened physical activity and shorter drags to accommodate a parched throat. From this raw data, I concluded that whatever my emotional state over the study period, the 5-6 minutes spent on smoking always brought it to a different plane that is away from the current state. The results indicated (at least to my ‘scientific’ mind, or whatever you may take the liberty of calling it), smoking distracts our mind from whatever it is dwelling on. In other words it provides the mind an escape, a wormhole to a completely different world.

When one is stressed, a short period of escape from the problem at hand seems reasonable enough. The problem is that, once one gets acquainted with this escape plan, he starts using it for every single reason. It may become an indispensable companion, whether one is burning the midnight lamp, playing chess, having a ‘man-to-man’ talk, watching an India- Pakistan cricket match, or simply waiting for his girlfriend. So the situation becomes completely reversed. When one begins, he has genuine stress and is looking for a stress-buster; later on he looks out for ‘stress’-full situations, excuses, to use his ‘stress-buster’. Well whatever it is, I was very satisfied that my study was completed successfully and unhindered, and more importantly, with solid results.

Thus, began my journey of studying ‘myself’, stupid as it may seem now, I know how important it had been to me in those days. The subject (smoking) was pathetic to begin so grand a venture. But then, it is just like the outskirts of a big forest. Dense, thorny bushes block one’s entry. Its only when one manages to get through this initial obstacle, the jungle floor reveals clearer passages. And just like that over the years, I have observed and realised many things, but those are all stories for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment