Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Faces From My Past: The Young Help


I spent my early childhood in a small border town called Gomtu in southern Bhutan. It is known for its cement factories and cement export to India. It is a typical border town of Bhutan with a magnificent gate guarding its entrance. Designed in classic Bhutanese style, colored red in traditional dye, it had the national emblem, the peaceful dragon painted on it.

This gate had a permanent police outpost where everything that came in or went out was thoroughly verified and documented. Trucks laden with cement and other commercial goods would queue up in front of this gate and wait for hours for the verification to complete before they crossed over into India. I liked to spend my time observing these trucks and their occupants. Fortunately for me, we stayed in a small apartment in a building very close to the gate. Every afternoon, when my mom took her post lunch siesta, I would sit on the window sill, dangle my legs outside, press my face on the bars and babble at the passersby. When there was no one on the road, I would sit and stare at the tea garden across the barbed wire border fencing. I was three or maybe four years old then.

While awaiting border permit, the truck drivers and their helps would clean up their vehicles and check out the mechanics. I remembered many of the trucks by their appearance, owing to the regularity of their trips. There was one old truck, which seemed to me like a bald eagle. Its orange hood had the shape of an eagle’s beak. There was another which was a lustrous green with a red colored bumper. I called it ‘Mother Kali’ because it looked like the dark goddess with her blood thirsty tongue hanging out. I would eagerly await the arrival of this truck, it was my favorite.

My favorite truck was driven by a big man who wore patched khakis. He had a young help, a boy of twelve or thirteen, a lanky fellow with a mop of disheveled curly hair on his head and a boisterous sway in his gait. The boy would always be in exceptionally high spirits. He would sing out Nepali movie numbers at the top of his voice. He had a hoarse voice, but that did not stop him for singing. More than once his rasping cacophony had disturbed the peace in this little town and had drawn angry protestations from the nearby buildings. Nevertheless, this guy fascinated me no end. The energy around him, the enthusiasm he projected was infectious. He seemed, like a guy who has thrown all caution to the air, a free spirit who cannot be tamed.

But it was not always that he would be his happy self. The drivers and the other helper boys would make it a point to bully him. Being the smallest of the lot, he would be the butt of most of their jokes and more often than not, would be shoved around by the bigger boys. I still remember the day a fight broke out between him and a bigger guy. The older fellow threw him around like a rag doll and degraded him with foul language. But the little fellow kept coming back at him. His otherwise happy face contorted in indignation and hurt, with tears of anger and exasperation streaming down his face, he kept on throwing himself at the bigger guy, only to be pinned down again and again. I remember feeling distraught seeing the suffering of the little fellow. How I wished I could go out and help him in his fight.

I would watch him with rapt attention as he washed the truck or changed its tyre. He would effortlessly slide underneath the truck, to position a jack for hoisting the vehicle. He would then loosen the bolts from the tyre one by one, stomping on a long handled wrench. Finally he would unscrew the bolts and heave the wheel out of the axle. I would stare amazed at how the wiry little fellow would dexterously roll out the spare, heave it up into position, and screw the nuts. Then he would fix the wrench onto the nuts, hoist himself up onto its long handle and tighten the nut using his own weight. His lean figure standing atop the wrench with a distant look in his eyes is one of the most enduring images among my childhood memories.

__________________________________________


As I tighten the final screw on the spare tyre, I stumble upon this very dear memory from the past. We are returning from a party at a road-side dhaba. It’s completely dark on the highway. There’s wilderness on both sides of the road. The nearest habitation is nowhere in sight. It certainly is not the best of places to have a flat tyre.

As we resume our journey, I am reminded of the little guy with a mop of curly hair, standing atop a wrench with a distant look in his eyes. I never met him; I don’t even remember what they used to call him. Yet as I realize today, I had developed a kinship with him. There was a strong bond that lay somewhere, which united us both. It was as if we were dual manifestations of the same spirit. He was just an older manifestation of my own self.

Today he reminds me of Sinbad; hero of the high seas, the indomitable spirit of adventure standing atop the mast of his ship; his turban fluttering in the wind, his grizzled face grim, and his eyes searching the horizon for hint of land.


No comments:

Post a Comment